A clear brand positioning is necessary to give your brand the wings it deserves.
Valérie Vroome is a pharmacist with a passion for skincare. It was her dream to launch her own skincare brand. When I met her, her products, packaging, website, and social media were launched.
However, she felt something was missing.
Indeed, a clear brand positioning was missing. In today’s crowded marketplace, creating a strong brand strategy and identity is crucial for the success of any business.
Very often new emerging brands believe their products can stand out and differentiate themselves from the competition. Having great products that deliver what they promise is clearly the foundation of any successful brand.
However, it needs a clear brand positioning to give it wings.
Brand positioning is the process of creating a unique image and identity for a brand in the minds of consumers. It involves identifying the target audience, understanding their needs, and developing a brand message that resonates with them.
Here are some reasons why emerging brands need to create a clear brand strategy:
- Differentiation: A clear brand positioning helps a brand differentiate itself from its competitors. By developing a unique brand identity and message, a new brand can create a distinctive personality that sets it apart from the rest.
- Consumer insight: most start-ups still start from an inside-out perspective. We made this, we are good at that. But turning this proposition outside-in is the trick to start from a consumer standpoint. What are people looking for? What do you solve with your products or services?
- Customer loyalty: A strong brand positioning creates a sense of trust and loyalty with customers. When customers can identify with a brand, its purpose, and its values, they are more likely to remain loyal and recommend the brand to others.
- Competitive advantage: A well-positioned brand has a competitive advantage over brands that have not developed a clear brand positioning. By standing out in a crowded marketplace, a brand can attract more customers and gain a larger market share.
In a workshop session, organized in Portugal 🇵🇹 Valérie, Hilde, and myself crafted a new and distinctive brand strategy for Skincare by VV. We took the time and worked for 3 full days:
- To get a better view of the competition.
- To review the social and environmental issues new brands integrate into their storytelling.
- To analyze how we could fortify her brand.
- To craft a differentiating story that was ready for an international ambition.
Valérie had placed all her knowledge and experience as a trained pharmacist in her beauty line. So you can imagine that it wasn’t easy to accept the analysis and my direct communication style to make sure the message was well understood 😉
The Portuguese sun and distance to her Belgian work clearly helped her to digest, accept and continue to rework her proposition.
Happy to announce that 8 months after the positioning workshop, Valérie participated in Cosmoprof, a trade fair in Bologna, Italy.
She has high hopes to launch her brand in Sweden, Italy, Israel, Hong Kong, Jordan, and Iran.
How amazing is that? Well done Valérie!